CURRENT SITUATION OF COVID-19
The ongoing global pandemic, COVID-19, was first identified in the city of Wuhan, China, in December 2019. As of now, more than 4 lacs people all around the world have been infected with the disease. More than 40,000 people have also lost their lives because of it.
The World Health Organization (WHO), on 30th January 2020, declared the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. The situation worsened over the month, and on 11th March 2020, WHO declared the novel coronavirus as the global pandemic.
The worst-hit countries, due to this virus, are the United States of America with the maximum number of cases, Italy, Spain, and China. The epicenter of the disease spread, i.e., China has somehow controlled the pandemic and is in a stable condition as per the numbers indicated in the officially released data.
Several countries all around the world have implemented strict lockdown to curb the spread of the disease. In India, the first case was detected on 30th January 2020. Currently, India has implemented a 21 days lockdown. Also, the number of cases in the country witnessed a sharp upsurge in the past week, and as of today, approximately 1600 cases of infections and 45 casualties have been reported.
The novel coronavirus, also known as the COVID-19, is a new virus in the family of coronavirus. These viruses circulate among the animals, but some of these have also shown their effects on human beings. Previously many diseases like SARS and MERS had also resulted due to the coronavirus.
No vaccine to date has been developed for COVID-19. This highly contagious disease with a mortality rate of more than 5% is fatal for older people with some pre-existing medical conditions.
While the data about the origin of this disease is still unknown, speculations suggest that the virus might have transmitted from a live animal market in Wuhan, China. The virus mush has been present in a bat or a snake and transferred in humans due to the consumption of these animals.
CAUSES AND TRANSMISSION OF COVID-19
The coronavirus disease – 2019, is a highly contagious respiratory disease. It can spread through contact with the infected person. In some cases, it is said to even spread due to the surfaces in connection with the infected person as the virus can survive on a surface for a few days. Air can carry the droplets from the infected person and spread the virus to another person. This virus becomes rampant once it reaches the stage of community spread.
The incubation period of the virus is anywhere 2-14 days. This implies that a person might already be infected but may not show the symptoms, as they take time to develop.
The disease has similar symptoms as a common cold, but it should not be taken lightly. It is much more dangerous than a conventional flue. Few significant symptoms include:-
- Difficulty in breathing
- Muscle pain
This disease is more harmful to older adults with pre-existing medical conditions like hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, etc.
Here are a few standard guidelines released by the health-care authorities all over the world:-
- Our hands are the primary source of viruses and pathogens introduced into our bodies. Therefore, it has been advised to frequently wash your hands with soap and water for at least 30 seconds every day. A hand sanitizer should always be kept handy and must have at least 60 percent alcohol content.
- Avoid contacting the infected person. Maintain social distancing from the people.
- Prevent excessive traveling and avoid visiting the live animal markets.
- Follow the quarantine rule strictly.
- The government of the various nations has imposed a lockdown, following the rules obediently.
- If you discover any symptoms of the on yourself, immediately contact your health-care provider.
- Make sure that you wear a mask and isolate yourself from other people. Do not visit the doctor yourself and wait for their instructions before taking any further steps.
- Separate the utilities of the patient and sanitize everything before use.
- In a crowded place, maintain a minimum distance of about one meter.
- Wear a mask while going outside and avoid touching your face without washing or sanitizing your hands.
The pandemic is a serious issue and not a hoax. All the countries that took the early signs and warning lightly are now suffering. If strict action is not taken, the disease can lead to a significant loss of life and also deteriorate the world economy. The world is at the onset of a massive economic depression, and no one is sure about the future effects.