Social media has become such a tremendous influence that today billions of people are present in various social media platforms. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, Skype, etc. are a few of the numerous social media platforms that are prevalent in the community. Students and children also actively use social media in their daily lives. A majority of the time of a person’s day is spent in scrolling through their social media feeds.
Social media highly influences students in the present age. They spend significant time on various social media apps. Here are some stats that confirm the prevalence of social media in the life of the students and children:-
- It was believed that the mobile internet is set to replace wired internet access by 2015. Today, maximum internet users use their mobile internet technology to access various web-pages, videos, social media, etc.
- Children aged between 2-11 years comprise a considerable portion of active internet users. Near 16 million of the total, that 9.5% of the total online internet users are their children.
- 73% of American teens with internet access are active on various social networking sites.
- Of the total time that an individual spends online, a quarter is spent on blogs and social networking.
Not only this, but students have also become heavily dependent on these social networking sites. Here are some other facts related to this:-
- IT IS WHERE THEY LIVE– Many students have accepted that social media is their primary source of communication with other people. 43% of the students in grades 9-12 have admitted that they use social media to send and receive messages from their classmates and friends.
- IT IS A PART OF THEIR DIGITAL FOOTPRINT– Many admission officers also tend to check the social media activities of the students when they apply for the top colleges. A student’s profile on these platforms is highly detrimental in assuring their admissions. 1 out of 10 admission officers from the top 500 colleges gives preference to the social media profiles of the students.
- IT’S UNSTOPPABLE– Boarding schools have laid strict restrictions on the usage of mobile devices, but 63% of the students use them anyway. They find it irresistible and are addicted to its usage.
- IT IS AN OVERHYPED DANGER- 67% of the teenagers believe that a significant portion of bullying happens offline. They feel safe using social media platforms, and cyber-bullying is not such a significant threat as it is anticipated to be. Only 08% of the students have admitted to having met someone whom they encountered online without asking for their parent’s permission.
- IT’S NOT JUST WHERE THEIR FRIENDS ARE– Many parents have accepted that they communicate with the kids using social media platforms. Colleges also use social media to receive and invite applications for admissions. Study groups in these platforms are used to share and gain information.
- ITS WHERE THEY WANT TEACHERS AND EXPERTS– Students prefer communicating with their teachers through the various social media platforms. They want their schools and colleges to arrange for connections through social media.
- IT’S HOW THEY WANT TO LEARN– 63% of the students from classes 6-12 have demanded online textbooks and study material. They want to study and commi=communicate through online sources. 40% of students feel that they feel more complacent in using online sources and collaborative tools for studying.
- IT’S THEIR REFERENCE DESK- 62% of the students gain knowledge and stay up to date with the current affairs through the various social media platforms. Many also use these platforms to clear their doubts on stereotypical topics like drug abuse, sex, etc.
Schools are very cautious in promoting social media among the students. This has several reasons connected to it. Some of them are as follows:-
- IT IS DAMAGING- When admission offices analyze a student’s online profile, they have said that it has negatively impacted their perception of the applicant.
- T IS DISTRACTING– Nearly 70% of the schools have banned the usage of mobile schools within the school premises. This is because these devices are very distracting and cause a deterioration of the learning process.
- IT IS HARD TO MONITOR– Students tend to cheat in their exams and use unfair means with the help of mobiles and social media. It is hard to catch and monitor such practices.