What is Homeschooling?
Homeschooling simply means where parents teach their children at home instead of sending kids to school for education. Homeschooling has become a movement across the world and is gaining momentum due to multiple reasons.
In today’s world parents are more educated and they feel they can teach their children in a better way than schools additionally parents are dis-satisfaction with schools as they charge hefty fees and the education they provide are totally irrelevant as children are not learning anything valuable which could help them become successful, another reason is children safety as the crime against children has increased parents believe homeschooling is a good concept and should be strongly considered all over the world.
Is Homeschooling Legal?
Homeschooling is legal in many countries like France, UK and etc Norway, Denmark and etc and it is widely accepted throughout the country whereas there are some countries where Homeschooling is completely illegal and parents are not allowed to teach their children full time so they left with no other choice but to send their children to schools for education. When it comes to India, homeschooling is legal in the country but it is not at all regulated by any regulatory bodies which make it hard for parents to get a clear picture of homeschooling.
Just like any other part of the world, homeschooling is gaining momentum in India as parents in India are also not satisfied with the schooling system due to numerous reasons. However, homeschooling is currently not the perfect solution to replace traditional schooling so there are Some people that support the ideas of Homeschooling and on the other hand, there are some people that are against the idea of Homeschooling so let’s look at both arguments for and against homeschooling it will give a clear picture whether homeschooling should be encouraged or not in India.
In Favour of Homeschooling
- When parents teach their children they will get complete control over their education and they can teach them in a more effective way as there will be more flexibility in times as schools are generally open for only 6 hours a day in contrary parents will have a full day where they can teach children accordingly by giving them breaks after every subject, by this children won’t get tired of education.
- Crime is increasing day by day and especially against children so parents are little worried about sending their children to traditional schools but When Children are homeschooling parents don’t have to worry about their Children’s safety and they can freely focus on making children educated.
- When parents teach children they create a good one to one bond with them which improves their relationship
- Parents can efficiently teach their kids by using innovative learning ideas like they can use educational technology to teach children using specially designed fun tools made for children learning it can boost the engagement level of kids and they will be able to learn and understand in a better way, they can also share with them all the shortcuts and tricks to solve the problems fast.
- When parents teach children they will get to know the hidden talent of children and they can make the curriculum according to their interest and ability in order to help children get engaged, and learn something valuable from subjects they like and parents can take help of the internet for teaching kids as all the information are available on the internet for free.
- When homeschooling will be encouraged in India it will create pressure on Educational Institutions to change or update the education system as currently, education encourages rote learning and students study just to get good marks and they can achieve that by rote learning without gaining any knowledge.
In Against of Homeschooling
- Companies don’t see homeschooling as valuable and they don’t consider students for jobs which makes it difficult for the students to get into a career of their choice with homeschooling.
- Children who homeschool are unable to develop social skills as the children develop their social skills, communication skills, Team working skills when they are around other children but in homeschooling children are unable to develop these key skills which affect the overall development of children.
- Parents are so busy with their own housework or office work that they won’t be left with enough time to teach children full-time every day.
- Teachers take years of training and become experts in teaching which help them to teach children the right way whereas Parents don’t have required knowledge and skills to teach students in an efficient way which could be harmful to children future and development
- Homeschool is not at all disciplined in comparison to regular schools and also the children who go to regular school will be able to cover the syllabus on time whereas homeschooling children will not be able to cover the syllabus and there are fewer restrictions so they will skip classes regularly.
As of now, the homeschooling concept is not that popular in India but it can be a major issue in future so Educational institutions had to change their system in order to provide valuable education which helps kids become successful in life.
All parents want is the best education for their children so if regular schools able to update their curriculum and remove irrelevant subjects and focus on providing good education and developing skills in students will definitely keep parents and students happy with the education.
If the situation doesn’t change Government can give parents the option for homeschooling By making a proper homeschooling regulation and set up a regulated body that will look after homeschooling and this will increase the acceptance of Homeschooling in India.