The homeschooling trend is something to ponder over. While this trend was only prevalent in the upper-class of society, homeschooling has evolved to have a very elaborative meaning nowadays. It is not just about hiring a private educator who would tutor the child about everything. It is about learning through all the resources that one gets at home. The involvement of the parents in this also plays a significant role. Parents are conspicuously the biggest influence in a child’s life. Anything that a parent teaches a child can get entrenched in their minds in a much better way. Hence, learning at home has several meanings and benefits.
BENEFITS OF HOME SCHOOLING
- A child gets to learn at the convenience of his/ her home.
- Under the guidance of the parents, children feel motivated to perform better overall.
- The classroom environment is not suitable for everybody as each student have their own pace in learning. Some students might find it challenging to keep up with other students. This pressure gets immensely eliminated in a homeschooling atmosphere as the students get to involve in a self-paced learning experience.
- The competition anxiety and inferiority complex issues are something that a homeschooling environment is immune to. Competition is considered to be a very positive thing, but the mental issues that a child develops because this does more harm than good in the long run. In home school, a kid feels complacent in his/ her abilities and gets to learn in his/ her comfort zone.
- In a classroom, a single teacher is not able to provide an ample amount of attention to every student. In this stride, some shy students get left behind and are not able to clear their doubts. On the contrary, students in a home school get a lot of attention from their parents and also their mentors. They can present their queries in a better way and subsequently get the right guidance for the same.
TIPS TO MAKE THE HOME- LEARNING EXPERIENCE A BETTER ONE
From the benefits as mentioned above, the significance and prominence of homeschooling are justified. Now the next step in the process is the implementation. How can parents ensure that the children get the best learning experience at home? Here are a few tips that every parent can involve to help their kids in getting a productive education at home:-
1) PLAN THE DAY WITH YOUR CHILD
Create a schedule with the help of your child. When you involve your child in the process of planning, they feel more motivated towards achieving their goals. Brainstorm with your child and provide them with options. Consider their inputs and appreciate them for coming up with new ideas. Also, indulge in the feedback and allow them the time to adjust to the planned schedule. Starting the day with a plan is one of the proven methods to ensure better productivity. If you teach and develop these habits in your ward at a young age, they will reap the benefit of it in their future lives.
2) INVOLVE THE FAMILY
One thing that homeschooling may lack is the absence of communication with other students. This shortcoming can be overcome by involving the whole family in the learning procedure. Integrate your child’s learning schedule with the entire family’s routine. The involvement of the family member can enhance the overall learning process for the child. Interact with the child and learn about his/ her expectations. Provide solutions from a different perspective.
3) KEEP IN TOUCH WITH TEACHER
Teachers and educators have a better knowledge of providing a better educational training experience to the children. Therefore, parents should ask for the advice of the teachers. How the assigned curriculum can be enhanced, and what changes can be adopted? All these questions can be answered by referencing the opinion of the teachers. They can also provide some tips to increase a child’s concentration through fun and innovative learning activities.
4) USE FREE RESOURCES
With the advent of the internet and technology, the world has globalized. For education, numerous free resources are available online. Parents can refer to these lessons, worksheets, video lectures, etc. and help their kids in learning something new. Millions of passionate educators willingly provide free tuitions online. Parents should not miss such a golden opportunity and utilize these resources to their best potential.
5) TAKE BREAKS
Concentration has a span, after which the mind gets exhausted. It is proved that a person can only concentrate for a maximum of 25 minutes at a particular time. Hence, provide proper breaks to your child to rejuvenate their mind. This will also enhance their retention capabilities.
6) BE FLEXIBLE
If your child is facing a problem with the pre-planned schedule, be open-minded and flexible towards changing it. Encourage them to provide their feedback and incorporate the changes as per your child’s tendencies and emotional state of mind.