Novel coronavirus has infected millions of people worldwide and resulted in hundreds of death. WHO declared it as a global pandemic and health emergency on 11th March 2020. The first case of the virus was reported in Wuhan, China, in late December 2020. The rapid upsurge in the COVID-19 cases on the global level has created panic among the people.
Several countries have entered a phase of complete lockdown to curb the spread of this deadly virus. It is not just the common flu. COVID-19 is a much dangerous virus whose vaccination development is still in process.
The complete information on the characteristics and behavior of the virus is still unknown. New research and studies reveal new facts about the virus every day. Still, it is a situation that requires prompt action and alertness from an individual’s side. Being anxious can worsen the situation.
The virus is more fatal for older adults and people suffering from pre-existing ailments like heart diseases, diabetes, hypertension. Although the children and adults below 50 years are relatively safe, it does not indicate that they do not have to take any safety precautions. COVID-19 is an unpredictable disease, and the present situation is indicative of its severity.
The symptoms of the disease are as follows:-
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Dry cough.
- Runny and stuffed nose.
- Tiredness and stomach problems.
TIPS TO REMAIN SAFE AND PREVENT FROM CATCHING COVID-19
1) Keep your hands clean all the time, and wash them frequently with soap and water. Make sure that you wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds. If water is not available, you can use a sanitizer. The sanitizer should have a high alcohol content ( more than 60%). Wash your hands before eating food, after touching any surface or coming in contact with the infected person.
- Dispose of all the used tissues and masks into a plastic-lined disposable in immediately. Make sure that they are not kept exposed for long durations and that no other person comes in contact with these.
- Use a tissue or a handkerchief to cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing. You can also cough or sneeze on your elbow pit. Just make sure that you do not get a cough directly at someone and cover your mouth in the absence of a mask.
- Refrain from touching your face, mouth, nose, and eyes at all times. The prime way of virus introductions in the body is due to the hands. When we touch a surface, we have the potential risk of getting the virus on to our hands. Afterward, when we touch our face, rub our eyes or nose with our hands, we transfer the virus into our body.
- At this time, social distancing is critical. Maintain a distance from other people and stay away from the individuals who portray flu-like symptoms. The virus can be carried in the form of droplets through the air. Make a distance of at least 6 meters between yourself and other people. Do not go into public places and gatherings.
- Cleanliness at this time is paramount. Make sure that you clean all the surfaces and counters at your home. If someone has entered from outside, make sure they sanitize themselves properly before touching anything at home. Practicing basic hygiene is the only solution for the prevention of this virus.
- Avoid sharing your belongings and items with other people. Do not share food or other commodities. Keep separate towels, utensils, and wash them before using them. Use disposable tools and make sure they are disposed of properly.
- At this time, when the government has implemented a severe lockdown, make sure that you practice social distancing sincerely. Avoid large gatherings and stay at your home. Only leave your place for essential items. Make the list of the groceries and bring all the items at once. Do not stockpile on the supplies as others might not be able to get some things. The efficient utilization of goods and resources is essential at this time.
MEASURES TO TAKE IF YOU ARE UNWELL
- If you discover any symptoms, seek medical attention. Call your health care provider and follow their directions.
- Practice self-isolation and self-quarantine. Stay at home and break contact with the family members as well.
- Avoid talking or contacting others at all costs. If any health is needed, then communicate through messages or other means. Wear masks and gloves at all times.
At this time, it is best to remain ready, informed, prepared, alert, supportive, and kind. The whole world needs to work in coordination to fight the virus and follow the instructions laid by the government and who, accurately.